Station Buffet | Historical


Time-line of Bridlington's Railway

March 1884 A committee was established to look into the construction a railroad from Bridlington to the West Riding of Yorkshireto transport fish and other goods from Bridlington Quay. Passenger transport was regarded a virtually nil. the scheme came to nothing.
June 1845 Parliament passed the Bridlington Branch of The Hull and Selby Railway Company
July 1845 Hull and Selby railway leased to York and North MIdland Railway Company
6th October 1846 George Townsend Andrews the architect of Y and N.M.R. Comp. sees his design of Bridlington Railway Station opened to the public. With a special train to mark the opening from Hull to Bridlington consisting of over sixty carriages and three engines.
18th October 1847 Filey to Bridlington line opened by Y and N.M.R. Comp.
May 1851 A line connecting the harbour opened behind Windsor Crescent. This line was later extended to be used in the construction of sea defence works which is now where the Spa Royal Hall.
July 1854 Y & N.M.R. , York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway and Leeds Northern Railway amalgamated with N.E.R.
October 1866 The Harbour link was closed.
April 1873 Work started to extend station buildings designed in the G.T. Andrews style by Thomas Prosser the N.E.R. Architect.
June 1891 The level crossing (Station Road) south of the station was replaced with a road bridge.
June 1892 Work commenced on locomotive shed
1892 Further extension planned by William Bell towards new bridge.
May 1893 Original Portico demolished and replaced by glass and iron awning.
July 1893 Locomotive shed opened
19 May 1912

Final extension to the station opened designed by William Bell including:

  • The Station Buffet and Refreshment Rooms (one of only three original BUFFETS left in the country)
  • Platform 4 extended
  • Platforms 5 and 6 with Canopies
  • Concourse with booking office and waiting rooms
  • Footbridge between platforms 1 to 6
  • Main entrance moved to present position with original awning
Jan 1923 London and North Eastern Railways formed by amalgamating N.E.R. with other smaller regional railway companies.
WWII Bomb damage caused to various buildings and rolling stock inc. amunitions wagons
January 1948 British Railways formed
June 1958 The last steam locomotives transfered from Bridlington
December 1958 Locomotive shed closed
March 1961 Demolition of station roof over platforms 1,2 and 3 demolished
February 1997 Regional Railways North East awarded to MTL Trusthold Ltd. on a 7 year franchise
1998 Change of name to Northern Spirit
1999 Regional Railways North East collapsed
February 2000 Franchise transfered to Arriva for two years
May 2001 Northern Spirit changed its name to Arriva Trains Northern Ltd
12 December 2004 Serco / Ned Rail trading as Northern Rail take over the franchise from Arriva Trains Northern




Site hosted by Web Merchant Services

© copyright 2001 - 2009 Station Buffet